There are
many instances where we hate our lives and think that our misery is unbearable
because of a job we lost, a lover who walked away or a friend who turned out to
be quite unreal. In many of those cases, the pain is huge and the way out of
our disarray seems to be just not foreseen. Some times, a sudden unexpected
gift is sent our way; and that is just what it takes to alleviate our sorrow.
Other times, it takes a real blow to wake us up, to urge us to see how we take
our lives for granted and to avoid going into a vicious circle of self
lamentation. That life of yours that sometimes we feel so much wanting to get
rid of is another person’s dream. I do not mean this in any superficial
sarcastic way nor do I mean to discredit one’s feelings of loss or pain at any
given point. But what I mean to share is that in my current state of mind, a
person momentarily passed through my life and unintentionally helped me to see
things clearer.
I woke up one
Friday morning, not expecting to do much more than have a slow day preparing
breakfast, sipping my coffee, strolling peacefully in the gardens surrounding
my house, and enjoying reading a book while my little girl plays at the park.
But that Friday, took me unexpectedly to the pyramids to accompany a guest who
wanted to see one of the oldest wonders of the world . So it has been.
My little
girl was all ready to be a tourist herself and as excited as our guest being
her first trip to the pyramids. My family got up and energetically got
prepared and we headed out.
Despite the
hot weather and the risk of developing migraines which often hit me on hot
days, I did enjoy the visit and the change in the weekly routine. It has been
years since I visited and it certainly brought back memories of my childhood. I
told my family how my parents and other family members had a different Friday
routine than ours. Each week we used to go on a picnic in an open place be it
the pyramids, Fayoum, or
somewhere by the beach. Those memories were further revived as I reflected on
the life of Zeinab , the 14
years old girls I bumped into by the sphinx as I was attempting to capture
artistic shots of our guest and my children.
The
development worker in me was trained to think that if this girl were to
complete her formal education, she could go much further in life and expand her
opportunities. As a reflecting person who also believes that "life is the
greatest teacher", I am not so sure. Zeinab
has made a path for her self and developed skills using her innate talent and
maximized the opportunities that were availed to her within her circumstances.
She has more communic ation
and leadership skills than I have encountered among older well educated
beings. I am wondering, about the turmoil of this girl and
others with her capacities within difficult circumstances
I am not
advocating against formal education and am certainly not celebrating that this
amazing girl dropped out of school. But I am simply wondering about the
photography, language and personal skills this girl was able to develop; and am
questioning whether she would have developed those same skills had she been
like any other girl of her age and less tough circumstances. I
wonder where in life she would have been if she grew up with a family that
had kept her in school. I keep thinking of the words Zeinab
said with so much conviction “life is the greatest teacher”. The orthodox
way of thinking is that if one is privileged to grow up in a well off
family, get a good education, be around peers that you have had it made in
life. Not true.
Life is the
greatest teacher and will teach each of us lessons all the time. The real caveat
is whether we will be willing to learn. Zeinab ,
has made me believe that it is how open we are for life and how we
use the opportunities that are made to us. It is how we are willing we are
to learn and take risks.
What a great article. I can only echo what you are trying to say. I am quite convinced that being happy and content has little to do with the hands we are dealt in life. Happiness and peace come from the inside. The ability to see beauty in the most difficult of circumstances is a gift from God. Some people have everything one could ask for, but only see something negative when looking at their lives. Another thing that keeps getting to me is stereotyping. We all need to move away from that. Putting people into boxes..if you do such and such..you are right ..and if not, then its frowned upon. The fact that you were able to see this girl as talented and special, gifted and wise, just proves that you are able to see beauty where others would only have seen poverty and injustice. Cheers to that!
ReplyDelete